At East Acton Primary School we believe that the contribution of mathematics to the modern society is significant and essential. Mathematics equips pupils with a powerful set of tools to enable them to become fluent, to logically think and reason, solve increasingly complex problems, make connections with the world and assess risks in their everyday lives.
Mathematical skills are vital for the professional opportunities in science, technology, engineering and economic, but also in many other forms of employment. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, pupils learn to recognise and value the contributions made by many professionals to the development and application of mathematics.
The aims of East Acton Primary School reflect those of the 2014 National Curriculum for maths, which are that pupils should:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- Solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
Our aim is for pupils to demonstrate:
- A growth mindset about their ability to learn mathematics and an awareness of how fascinating elements of mathematics are
- Express their growing enthusiasm and curiosity about maths concepts and challenges through Pupil Voice
- Competence in using numbers and shapes
- Resilience when problem solving by reasoning, thinking logically, working systematically and applying their knowledge of mathematics
- Consistency when communicating and explaining patterns and connections by using correct mathematical language and terms
- An ability to work both independently and with others
Our staff are encouraged to retain strengths of current and innovative methodologies through using their flexible approach in order to effectively tailor and maximise the learning opportunities for all pupils.